Brief on ARMTI
In the late ’70s it became clear that our dependence on oil revenue to the neglect of agricultural development was unreliable for national economic and social development. The Federal Government of Nigeria then pumped a lot of money into reviving agricultural activities and productivity in Nigeria. However, it was soon realized that the huge investments in agriculture would not yield the desired results because of an acute shortage of manpower with requisite managerial skills and capability. Consequently, an institute to train and develop the required manpower to manage the many agricultural and rural development projects existing and being planned, became a necessity. In 1980, with the assistance of a World Bank loan, ARMTI was established to satisfy this need.
Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute Act Cap. 11. Vol.I laws of the Federation of Nigeria. Supervising Ministry: ARMTI is a parastatal organization under the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
The Act establishing ARMTI provides for a 7-member Board of Governors including the Director of the Institute. The Board is the highest policy-making body with responsibility for among others:-
- formulation of policies for proper governance of the Institute;
- approving her programmes and budget;
- ensuring adequate funding for ARMTI and proper management of the Institute’s finance.
- Planning and management of agricultural and rural development;
- Human resource development and general management;
- Agricultural finance and rural credit management;
- Entrepreneurship and small/medium enterprise development and management;
- Management information system and data processing;
- Gender issues and youth development;
- Agricultural research management;
- Rural infrastructure and institutions development management; and
- Extension management.
Besides regular training courses, ARMTI also organises workshops, seminars and conferences on topical issues relating to agricultural and rural development policy and management. For many years, ARMTI has been organising international courses and has been reputed as a centre of excellence in management training in Africa.